Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fourth Meeting


Word Sort
 Today I met with my student. The first thing I asked him is if he had been reading his book. He had read a few pages on his own sense we have last met. He said he was enjoying the book and smiled. Before we began our reading for the day I reminded him of the word sort we completed the last time we met. We discussed the rules of dropping the e to add –ing, doubling the last consonant and adding –ing, and adding –ing to a base word. My student asked me what a base word was. I reminded him of the discovery he made with base words in the previous meeting. We then practiced identifying base words as I saw a need for further instruction on the matter. After our review, I allowed the student to complete the word sort as I timed him. He completed the sort in 3 minutes and 20 seconds. We will do this again at our next meeting to see if he can improve upon his accuracy and his time. I have noticed that this student needs motivation to
stay on task and focused and timing him allows him to stay on task without being frustrated. Finally, we resumed out reading in the book Tangerine. I allowed him time to read and enjoy the book and then we discussed how we can make our reading better. We took turns reading sentences from the text with prosody and expression. I noticed while we read that the student does not always read the words in the text but attempts to insert words that may make sense in the context he is given. When I ask him to return to a word and reread, he has a difficult time chunking words to decode them. I believe that this may be a potential mini lesson in our next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment